After prosecutors decided not to prosecute Donald Trump’s campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, for battery of reporter Michelle Fields, Sean Hannity spent five minutes helping to whitewash and rehabilitate Lewandowski’s record.
What’s In Lewandowski’s Record Without The Criminal Charges
There’s much to be suspicious about, if not loathe outright, in Lewandowski’s record even without the criminal charges. For one thing, Lewandowski was hardly exonerated. The prosecutor said there was “probable cause” for the police to have charged him but the evidence was “insufficient to support a successful prosecution.”
Secondly, a contemporaneous audio of the incident reveals that Fields was clearly shaken when Lewandowski grabbed her as she attempted to ask Trump a question. A Washington Post reporter who observed what happened was obviously shocked at Lewandowski’s behavior as well. He also saw bruises on Fields' arm, which she later tweeted in a photo, that were in a finger pattern.
Then there were Lewandowski's and Trump's false statements about what happened and their attacks on Fields.
Trump has stood by Lewandowski. In the days after Fields alleged the manhandling, Lewandowski called her “totally delusional,” and Trump suggested the journalist was lying about being grabbed.
After Lewandowski was charged, Trump said he was actually grabbed by Fields, said he wouldn’t fire his aide, and questioned whether Fields’ bruises were really from the episode and why she didn’t scream. He also suggested she changed her story, a claim that Fields denied and that the fact-checking website PolitiFact rated false.
And in case that’s not enough to at least question Lewandowski’s character, there have been many other reported incidents of his thuggish, brutish, sexist behavior, including late-night booty calls to female reporters, “often not sounding entirely sober.”
Plus, Lewandowski threatened Hannity’s own colleague, Megyn Kelly.
Sean Hannity Plays PR Agent For Lewandowski
Hannity opened the discussion by highlighting information that could have come straight from a Trump campaign press release:
HANNITY: Tonight, newly released security video” shows a Secret Service agent telling Fields to leave the area, which she does, but after about 90 seconds, Fields then returns to the same spot to try and ask Mr. Trump a few questions. Some are calling this video quote, a smoking gun.
Rather than point out the evidence going the other way, Hannity merely said Fields declined to give a statement in response. And who could blame her, considering how Hannity has acted like an in-house Trump flack?
Hannity only confirmed that appearance in his questions to Lewandowski:
- "Big relief for you today… I wanted to give you a chance to respond and give your take."
- "Are you a little annoyed, angry, upset that they even brought it up in the first place because they had the video at the time that they so-called charged you, or were going forward with this?"
- "You know, things are so heated in politics sometimes, but I try to look at this as objectively as possible. I’ve known Michelle Fields, she’s been on the show, you know that, for many, many years, and I go back to her original statement, 'Someone grabbed me tightly by the arm, yanked me down, I almost fell to the ground, jolted backwards.' That’s just not on the tape. I looked again and again and again and I couldn’t understand that it got the amount of media attention that it actually got. When you looked at the tape, did you have a sense of relief?"
- "What’s interesting to me is, you’re saying you never met her before. You never talked to her before, and they tried to make a big deal over the fact that, well, maybe you didn’t yank her to the ground, but he said he didn’t touch her, and the tape shows that he might have touched her. And I’ve looked at that point, and I said, 'Is that what we’ve gotten to in this campaign?'"
- "So there was never any contact. The only time you knew about this was reading Twitter and her Twitter feed and that was the only contact, experience, that you knew that something had happened and you didn’t even remember the incident."
- "Some have speculated there might be some type of defamation lawsuit [by Fields against Lewandowski] after. Your thoughts on that.'
In fact, earlier in the day, Lewandowski’s lawyer had threatened Fields with retaliation, saying “it opens up a large door to her past.” But Hannity didn’t mention that either.
This, just one day after Hannity complained about being called a Trump shill.
Watch one good reason why he is, below, from the April 14 Hannity show.