It's bad enough that Donald Trump is taking off the entire first weekend of his presidency. But he made it clear he doesn't have a clue what he'll be doing first thing Monday morning when he finally gets around to actually working at his job.
In her lovefest disguised as an interview today, Fox & Friends host Ainsley Earhardt didn't mention the disgust and ridicule Trump engendered when he announced that after his inauguration, he plans to take off the weekend and not start work until Monday. Instead, Earhardt opened with what she obviously thought was a softball: What is the first thing Trump plans to do when he gets to the White House Monday? She made it sound as if it were to be expected Trump would start working before then.
Trump obviously had no idea. “I want to go to work. Monday is really the day that we start signing and working and making great deals for the country," he replied.
Salon noted yesterday that, "Recent reports suggest that President-elect Donald Trump is far more focused on throwing a big party in advance of his inauguration than on what he does in his first two days as president after being sworn in on Friday." Still, you'd think by now he'd have some clue as to what's first on his presidential work agenda.
Instead of asking what "great deals" Trump has in the works, Trumpheart Earhardt gazed at him adoringly and asked if wife Melania and youngest son Barron will be in the White House the first night. You’re probably thrilled to know that all the Trump children will be there.
I've got more to say about this interview coming up. But meanwhile, you can watch it below, from the January 18, 2017 Fox & Friends.
Now if the MSM were to go after Trump because he isn’t following the republican agenda, that would be the final nail in the coffin for MSM. That they are at the beck and call of corporate America.
Another shoe dropped this morning – we now know the first wave of radical budget cuts Pence is planning. Massive cuts to Justice, State and Energy. (I’m still waiting to see the cuts to Education and EPA that must be in there too) All part of an extreme Hard Right budget from the Heritage Foundation. Pence is also eliminating the NEA, the NEH and privatizing the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. Programs that were intended to help battered women or encourage Community Policing? Gone.
Welcome to the new normal. Elections have consequences. Hopefully the people who sat on their hands this election are paying attention.
Again, Trump may not know which papers he’s signing first, but acting president Pence sure does.
On the more serious topic of how non-Trumplicans may try to counteract Trump, I agree with David that it will probably not be impeachment but rather fear that it will be some form of assassination. Either a heart-attack-simulating concoction or a gun wielded by one of their own crazies. Then, they’ll do their damnedness to pin the blame on the Dems and we may have a civil war on our hands.
Considering that President-elect Trump has already responded in a (to me) appropriate manner to the outcry about the fallout of a full repeal of Obamcare (he tweeted a promise to guarantee 100% coverage by health insurance … didn’t mention “affordable” but that’s understood apparently), and as Pence is (to me) a far more terrifying option, I’m hoping to see Trump remain President. Massive opposition to anything will probably prompt him to respond accordingly. While the non-Trumplicans are having their conniptions, many Trumplicans will be cheering along with the rest of us.
I may have gone overboard on the optimism, there, but it’s not unreasonable to expect the Trumpsters to accept anything their hero-cum-deity does.
I don’t see the democrats as doing anything. Not that I’m criticizing the democrats, it’s that they would never impeach without a serious law being broken plus Pence is the VP.
That’s when the focus will turn to the unspeakable Pence. Trump has already served his purpose, getting the Presidency for them, and it won’t bother them a jot to push him under the next available bus.
We can guarantee that he will take the following actions very quickly, many EOs coming in on Monday:
1. He will announce draconian immigration changes, including refusing to allow in people from various Muslim countries and erasing all the Obama programs like DACA and DACA. He will likely also announce that he wants “The Wall” to be built. And he will likely try to add more personnel at the southern border.
2. He will likely announce that the new Justice Dept will no longer be appealing the anti-ACA ruling that says that the government cannot just subsidize the various insurers, thus instantly defunding the program. This should be followed very quickly by the reconciliation budget bill from Congress that will allow him to gut nearly everything else from the ACA, leaving only a few bones with no impact.
3. He will immediately reverse all the Obama EOs about environmental restrictions and set-asides. He will also move to fire or diminish anyone at the various government departments who has worked on climate change research or regulations. (This was the reason why they were trying to root out all these names in advance)
4. He will announce that the new Trump White House is no longer standing by the Trans Pacific Partnership, nor the Climate Change Accords, and he will likely announce that the Iran Treaty is “under review” and that the Cuban Rapprochement is nullified.
5. He will sign another series of EOs to erase all other directives from Barack Obama and then announce that nothing remains of the prior presidency.
6. He will announce either William Pryor or Mike Lee as a Hard Hard Right Wing Supreme Court nominee to replace Antonin Scalia, and demand that the Dems in the Senate vote for his selection or else.
And that’s just Monday…