It appears that the reason Megyn Kelly has been silent on the subject of Roger Ailes' alleged sexual harassment is because she says she experienced it, too. According to New York's Gabriel Sherman, that may be why Ailes will be out the door at Fox by August 1.
There's so much to unpack in Sherman's latest bit of reporting, I can't get to it all here without committing a Melania Trump plagiarism. But here's the most important part:
According to two sources briefed on parent company 21st Century Fox’s outside probe of the Fox News executive, led by New York–based law firm Paul, Weiss, Kelly has told investigators that Ailes made unwanted sexual advances toward her about ten years ago when she was a young correspondent at Fox. Kelly, according to the sources, has described her harassment by Ailes in detail.
According to two sources, Monday afternoon lawyers for 21st Century Fox gave Ailes a deadline of August 1 to resign or face being fired for cause. Ailes’s legal team — which now includes Susan Estrich, former campaign manager for Michael Dukakis — has yet to respond to the offer. Ailes has also received advice on strategy from Donald Trump and Rudy Giuliani, sources say.
This is almost Shakespearean, is it not? We have Ailes being advised by the presidential candidate his network purports to cover in a "fair and balanced" manner along with a Trump advisor. Then there is Megyn Kelly, the anchor who spent a year being harassed in the media by Trump, turning on her boss who, as Sherman later notes, was instrumental in making her the star she is today. She is also the star that the network's parent company now feels is more valuable than its iconic chief.
It's worth pointing out here that though I've long criticized Ailes for not standing up for Kelly more vociferously while Trump was attacking her, Kelly has publicly praised Ailes throughout the ordeal.
Nobody deserves sexual harassment and nothing excuses it. But it doesn't speak well of Kelly that she was willing to overlook it until now, when an independent investigation was launched by 21st Century Fox in the wake of a sexual harassment lawsuit filed by former Fox host Gretchen Carlson.
But for those of us who care about the inner workings of Fox, there's also this juicy tidbit:
Ailes’s strategy so far has included attacking Kelly in the press. According to sources, Ailes spokesperson Irena Briganti has been criticizing Kelly to reporters, saying she is selfish to not stand up for the man who gave her career opportunities. Roughly a dozen Fox women have praised Ailes since Carlson filed her suit. According to a Fox source, the pro-Ailes campaign has been led by Fox anchor Kimberly Guilfoyle, who has filled in hosting Carlson's former 2 p.m. time slot.
I’m looking at you Bill O’Reilly!!
Let’s not put any blame on Megyn or anyone who is by no fault of their own are put in that situation, but give them support. Gretchen found the courage to speak out when she no longer was under the threat. I find that very understandable.
I’ve have five very close friends who have dealt with bosses like Ailes in the past. Any complains can put a bulls-eye on your head since HR’s biggest fear is their number one job of protecting the company’s gold from lawsuits. The he said, she said is only hearsay to the courts.
I don’t agree with Megyn’s or Gretchen politics, but we must show support for not just them, but anyone, be it sexual or verbal abuse by those who are who we should blame for being the monster.
If the Murdochs were smart they would oust this useless and worthless cafeteria Catholic this Friday. Matter of fact, Ailes must resign by this Friday, or we will continue posting the phone numbers of Carlson’s attorney to other Fox “News” female former and current employees. While they are at it, get rid of Hannocchio since he covers for this clown.
The Stop Hannity Express says Hannocchio will be livid!
We demand a female as president of Fox “News.” Otherwise, we will call other male mouthpieces and suits who are not as innocent as they portray themselves in public.
Ailes won’t be the only one exiting Fox “News.”
Coming down the pipeline:
1. Bye Billy
2. Bye Hannocchio
3. Bye certain Fox “News” producers
4. Bye b*&%^ Guilfoyle
5. Bye Kelly
6. Bye Doocy
7. Bye Kilmeade
8. New Fox “News” president is introduced.
NOTE TO CURRENT AND FORMER FEMALE EMPLOYEES AT FOX “NEWS”
This SOB really needs to go. It’s time to call Carlson’s attorney and tell her everything about this fool, and others. Call Smith Mullin, P.C. at (973) 783-7607. Pass the number to anyone who is willing to talk. This SOB is in too much hot water to fire anyone, and if he does, sue 21st Century Fox, Fox “News” and Ailes.
NOTE TO 21ST CENTURY FOX
Company policy does not tolerate harassment of other employees, and you know this. Either you stick to the company’s policy, or we will call you out to the masses and media. It’s your choice!