File this one under truth is stranger than fiction. Fox News psychiatrist Dr. Keith Ablow - he of the crackpot, unprofessional and homophobic diagnoses - is considering running for the U.S. Senate in - get this - Massachusetts. As a Republican, of course.
Media Matters reports, via the Boston Herald, that if Senator John Kerry is confirmed as U.S. Secretary of State and vacates his current seat and Scott Brown and William Weld decide not to run, Ablow will consider it. From BostonHerald.com:
(Ablow) could not immediately be reached for comment this morning, but in a statement said: “The dysfunction in Washington and the tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut are both signs this country needs help, and, if neither William Weld nor Scott Brown is the candidate to bring that help from Massachusetts to Washington, I will take those who have asked me to run much more seriously.
“It is time, on so many levels, for real leadership based on the truth,” he added.
Seriously? This is the guy who has said on the air, in his role as a medical professional:
- I did not evaluate Joe Biden but if someone said to me, "Listen, we want you to do what’s really required to know what happened there," you have to put "dementia" on the differential diagnosis… If this were your Dad or your grandfather, wouldn’t you say, if you brought him to me, "Keith, you gotta tell me, is he suffering with dementia?
- In another on-air diagnosis, Ablow called Media Matters' David Brock a "very dangerous man."
- Counseled Maria Shriver to stand by her man, Arnold Schwarzenegger: "With Arnold looking weak right now, rather than strong, Maria has a chance to have and to hold her husband as never before.
- He attacked trangendered Chaz Bono as a victim of "psychotic delusion" (also without benefit of an examination)
- He touted a cache of weapons as "way normal." And "When the Iranians are close to getting a nuclear weapon... It may be that the rest of us who aren’t amassing survival gear are the crazy ones."
- Obamacare (substantially similar to the law in Massachusetts) will lead to people "who’ll take to the streets with rocks. Trust me."
Media Matters notes that Ablow is just the latest in a long list of Fox News contributors who have used their Fox platform as springboards for a spot in Republican politics. But if Ablow really thinks he has a shot at winning - well, he ought to have his head examined.
Go earn another title to your credentials.
Demented, freaking ugly, democratically rejected LOSER.
And maybe some TeaBagger money, too!
This kinda dovetails nicely with the desire expressed by some rightwingnuts on Twitter for Sarah Palin to be voted House Speaker:
And, by “dovetails nicely,” I mean “is just as batsh*t crazy an idea” . . .