Home Store In Memoriam Deborah Newsletter Forum Topics Blogfeed Blogroll Facebook MySpace Contact Us About

Major Palestinian Organizations Deny Kidnapping FOX Crew

Reported by Marie Therese - August 16, 2006 -

In today's USA Today there is a report that the major Palestinian groups are denying responsibility for the August 14th abduction of FOX News' Steve Centanni and his cameraman Olaf Wiig. Wiig's wife, Anita McNaught, made an impassioned plea for their release. The report notes that there have been no ransom demands, which is unusual. FOX News has not covered the story since the initial reports on Monday.

There has been speculation by some on this blog that perhaps FOX's silence was demanded by the kidnappers as the price of the crew's safety, but it would appear that that is not the case.

A Palestinian security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters, said efforts to locate the kidnappers and journalists were concentrated on the Gaza City area.

Palestinian officials said it is unusual for kidnappers not to make any demands for two days. That has made it difficult to trace the abductors, or understand why they kidnapped the journalists, they said.

McNaught said earlier that she was told by Palestinian officials that her husband's captors acted on their own, without support from militant groups.

McNaught said the hardest part of waiting has been the silence on the part of the kidnappers: "It's difficult dealing with no information on how he is," she said. (Source: USA Today, 8/16/06)

We want to express yet again our sincere hope that both men are returned, unharmed, very soon, to the love and care of their respective families.